Monday, June 16, 2008

June Visitors!


I just had guests! It's always fun to show new people the city-There's so many sights we just can't see everything. On Thursday we went to Mount Vernon. Everyone always seems to enjoy the ride out there on the George Washington Parkway. The trees are huge and you wiggle your way there following the Potomac River.

Friday was another hot day. It actually cooled off from the week prior but for my WI friends they were ready to melt! We drove to the Air Force Memorial. It's not too far from Josh's work (so I had to point out his building). It was a hazy day because of the humidity but we still had some great views. After the AF Memorial we went to Arlington National Cemetery. Even in the hot sun and humidity the men were watching the tomb of the unknown soliders. Everytime I walk thru Arlington I see and notice something new. It gives me goose bumps, everytime.

Next stop was the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Wall, and the White House. It was a long day out in the sun we all drank loads of water. Here is a picture of me and my June Visitors- Carmen, Mary, and Joan!

Saturday we walked around Alexandria. We went to the morning farmer's market and I gave them a tour of my office and the store where I work. Near by is the Torpedo Factory we made a quick stop in there too. I had to show them Gravely Point, where several planes seem to be coming straight at you! Me favorite quote that Carmen caught on video was Mary saying "come to Ma'ma!" I laughed so hard I had tears. In the afternoon I gave them a better view of the Pentagon where it was hit on 9/11. The building has been repaired but the new bricks are a reminder. The dark clouds came in and we made a quick stop at Iwo Jima. The weatherman called for rain on saturday most of the week keeping alot of people in. We parked in the city and took a few pictures of the US Capital and spent about 15 mins in the Botanic Garden. The rain came and went but we made it just in time.

Sunday was a slower day. We took a boat ride from Alexandria to George Town. We filled our belly's at lunch time and strolled the streets until we were ready to take our relaxing boat ride back to to pier in Alexandria. We tried to take a peek at everything but there is so much to see here! I want to Thank them for coming. They are great friends and will forever be in my heart! They spoiled me rotten-and didn't have to do that. But I appreciate all the snacks and of course the ice cream Carmen had to buy me because she lost the bet on Robert E Lee's home.

No comments: