Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hanna

This weekend we had the tropical storm. Hurricane Hanna. Once it started raining it just didn't want to stop. On Saturday we received 6.35 inches on rain! Last September all together we only had 3 inches of rain here in Alexandria! The Potomac was filthy today-It reminded me of the good ole Fox River!
You can tell people aren't playing games anymore. On Friday morning on my walk to work the city was flushing lines, setting up cones, and sandbags. This area is fairly low and the Potomac can really rise especially when the tide comes in.
To add to the story Josh and I ran the Pentagon Memorial (9-11) 5k race. It was right after the rain stopped. It started off pretty windy! Of coarse we ran past the Pentagon and it was so Hot in the parking lot area there wasn't a breeze. I ran 4 minutes faster this year then last year. I have to admit races aren't for me. I hate running that close to people. I enjoy running on the trail by myself. I felt like I wanted to let everyone pass me so they weren't running so close to me-I need space people!!! They haven't posted our official time yet. I guess I'm good again until next year! They had a pretty good turn out considering the weather.
They are getting ready to present the new Memorial for September 11Th. I will be sure to post info on ceremony.
At the race they had Josh's favorite-the Bag Pipes. It almost gave you chills. At the finish line they had two firemen ladders up off the fire truck and the US flag hanging between. That was pretty cool too! The hotels in Crystal City had loads of guest gawking out there windows; which made me laugh.
Friday night we had dinner with Jason and Farrah. They found out Thursday that they are leaving Alexandria and moving to Hershey PA. Farrah just got a new job! Congrats Farrah!!! Josh and I will miss them. Good thing they wont be too far away. Josh and I actually plan on going to the amusement park in Hershey next weekend. What's the chance of that?

1 comment:

Rob Evans III said...

You know there is the same amount of room in the front of the race as there is in the back right. ;)

Didn't realize you all were in the path of Hanna. Hope all is ok.