Sunday, September 14, 2008

Crime Stoppers

On Thursday I had the weirdest lunch break ever. I rather tell you the story then write it but I can't stop laughing about it, so I thought I would share it. I only get a 30minute break! and let me tell you a lot can happen in 30 minutes.
I walk out of the store and walk to the local Starbucks and get an ice drink. While I'm at the pick up counter a girl that works the floor at the store I work at comes in doesn't acknowledge me and goes to the counter and complains about the bagel she got. I just thought it was crazy! She would have picked up the bagel went to the store noticed what happened wrapped the bagel back up and walked back to Starbucks. I would have ate it or tossed it! She's so high maintenance.
I get my drink and pick up a straw on the way out the door. A lady gives me a compliment on my shirt It's a Baby doll shirt and she says "Cute Maternity Shirt" Rather then explain it's not I say thank you and walk to the edge of the park where I have lunch the majority of the time.
I use to sit in the park by the water. After a few weeks of doing that I noticed I wouldn't even be out of the park and homeless men would be digging in the trash and going through my lunch so now I sit on the edge of the park and it doesn't make me feel so sad. Any who! I was sitting on the steps when a homeless man approaches me and ask to use my phone.
Homeless Man: "Can I use your phone"
Me: "No"
Homeless Man: "Come On"
Me: "Who are you going to call?"
Homeless: "I have an important call to make"
Me: "What's it about?"
Homeless Man: "Look here's the number"
Me: "No, I don't want you to steal my phone"
Homeless Man: "I'll give you my wallet"
Me: "I don't know"...I was thinking your homeless what do you have in your wallet?
Homeless man then shows me the number on a officer's/police business card so I start calling the number. I wait a few rings the officer answers and I give the homeless man my phone
Homeless Man on the Phone: "Hey it's Conner's. Canetty is at the park, yah right now!"
The homeless man gives me my phone and walks in the park and sits on a bench.
I then call Alana and tell her Josh is going to kill me I just gave my phone to a homeless man and he just narked out another homeless guy. So Alana and I are talking when an unmarked squad car pulls up.
The officer is not wearing a uniform, but has gortex gloves on, a badge and gun around his waist goes into the park to the two homeless men seating on the park bench. I can't hear what he's saying but I tell Alana play by play what I see-Then I see the officer having the other homeless man stand up. You can tell they are arguing-the officer then swipes the homeless man on the grounds has his arms behind him and starts to handcuff him. I tell Alana I have to go.
At this point two more squad cars pull up. The officer is patting him down. Another policeman is walking into the park and has a plastic bag. He opens the bag up meanwhile the other officer is patting him down and finding things on the homeless man and removing them. The police go throw his lunch bag and find more Drugs! Yes I'm apart of a drug bust at the park!
I couldn't take my eyes off and I often see the homeless man that I let use my phone look over at me. I freak out I grab my drink and walk down and around into the book store and walk all the way back into the bookstore and watch from the window. I see them taking the clear bag that has drugs in to back to the squad car-I look at my watch and notice I need to get back to the store. I walk back to the store tell David what just happen to me...Seriously I was apart of a drug bust. David called me a Nark the rest of the day. I couldn't talk to Josh because he had a lot going on with September 11 and the Pentagon...I told him boy do I ever have a story for you at dinner tonight.
That night Josh gets home and I tell him he can't interrupt let me tell the story. I still wonder if the homeless man I gave my phone to was really homeless or undercover-Crazy I tell you. Josh now sends me emails for registration for the FBI. I tell him Ju-Ju is the new look for McGruff the crime stopping dog! CRAZY!!!
I think I'm going to find a new place to have lunch for awhile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the police are giving out your cell phone info when people want the number for "Crime Stoppers" :-)

Anonymous said...

How funny is that! Leave it to you to be in the right place at the right time...or is it the wrong place at the wrong time???
I laughed out loud when I read your story...Thanks for a good read!
Love ya, Mary